God is that you?


For the last few years I’ve found myself looking for answers, trying to fill what felt like a large hole in my soul. Tonight all the missing pieces came together for me, tonight we got to see the Doodle Bops.

We got to the fair grounds at 3:45 for the 4:00 show time. The line was extremely long and growing. We stepped into out place between sweaty, cigarette smoking, sleeveless t-shirt wearing, tattoo having guy and another sweaty, no cigarette, sleeveless t-shirt wearing, tattoo having guy. Just as we settled into out place an announcement came over the PA systems saying the start was going to be delayed until 5:00.

Questions started filling my head. Did the pink one get to drunk and they were waiting for her to sober up? Was the drummer laying backstage with vomit all over his orange wig because he just shot up a big spoonful? Or maybe the blue guy was taking his time snorting some coke and getting some groupies. I’ll never know the answers to these questions, but that just adds to the legend that is the Doodle Bops.

For the next hour my anticipation and excitement grew and finally it was time for the show. We took are seats between two more tattooed sleeveless men and looked out over a sea of what seemed like a million kids.

That’s when it happened; I heard the first few notes of “Queen for a Day” and immediately grabbed my lighter. I couldn’t stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks. A few minutes later they ripped in to a vicious rendition of “Lets Get Loud”. It felt like someone grabbed me by the neck and punched me in the face. I didn’t know the lyric at first put picked them up quickly. Before long I had my horns high and found myself singing along in my best heavy metal growl.

The experience was draining. The emotions poured out of me from the begin of the show until fifteen minutes later when Lizzy got bored and we left to go see bunny (or hops as she calls them). As tired as I was I couldn’t help feeling complete again. I thought this blog was life changing…that was before I got to see the Doodle Bops.

2 comments:

Joshua S Viers said...

15 minute experience... love it

Joshua S Viers said...

whatup with my life-changing blog updates?