I'm currently finishing up two books. The first one is The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. Jen and I decided that we would both buy a copy and then read it together. She thought it would be fun to learn about the ultimate theory that ties everything in the universe together and I couldn't believe that David Silver from 90210 knew so much about physics.

The book promises explain physical principals in eveyday terms, which it does. It explains that theoreticly time travel, walking through walls, and even other demensions are all possible. The problem is that the pricipals are so abstract and only work on such an extremly large or small scale that they aren't relevant to everyday life.

Every time I finished reading a section I thought who cares.

For example the author illustrates how time and space can be bent using an amusment park ride. So if I jump on the Tornado ride at the county fair and some how the carnies get the thing moving close to the speed of light and some how I don't die from the force being put on my body then my watch might be a few seconds different from some one standing in the middle of the ride? What the F, who cares.

At the other end of the spectrem the book digs into quantim mechanics and looks at the tiny pieces of energy that make up everything. These tiny pieces of energy have an infinite number of paths that they are able to take and they try all of the different paths out. So in theory if all the billion apon billion pieces of energy that make up my body chose the right path out of the infinate possibilities that they can take I could walk through a wall. So if my body lasts until the end of time and I countinuously walk into a wall until then there is a possibility I might make it through one of those times. Again, who cares.

Okay I tried it once just to see if i'd get lucky. Didn't work......Okay I tried it twice it didn't work either time.

If this book sounds interesting to you try the evil puzzels at http://www.websudoku.com/ or you might like to try memorizing Pi at http://www.freewebs.com/howtomemorizepi/


The other book that i'm reading is Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns n' Roses. Jen chose not to read this one with me. I liked the book, it gave the back story on some of the band members and lookes at the L.A. Rock scene in the 80's. It covered all the sex, drugs, and in-fighting between the band members. Unless you're a big fan of that time period in music or GnR I wouldn't recommend this book either.

But I would recommend Chinese Democracy. It belongs in your ears.<-please disregard this statement. I've listened to the entire album twice now and it definitely does not belong in your ears. There are maybe three decent songs on the album, but no traces of the bluesy/punk funness from Appetite. The ballads seem like retreads of GnR's previous work only even more produced. Axl's voice still sounds good while the rest of the cd is mostly unbearable.

For my review i give this album a sticky note, tennis ball, and two plates.

No comments: